Skip to main content

Happy B-day, Michael

My day started out today kind of rocky, but quickly turned around. I stayed up way too late last night, followed by being woken up by the kids way too early, cutting my total sleep down to less than 6 hours. I decided to head out for the day anyway to shop for groceries and hit the gym.

Today, I skipped the temptation to hit a drive through for a brkfst sandwich and coffee, opting instead to pick something up at my local grocery. I'm glad that I made that choice after finding a triple berry and oat bagel, a banana and a Yoplait triple berry torte yogurt. Cost $1.64. Less expensive than a brkfst sandwich and I certainly felt a lot better after eating this instead of a fast food sandwich.

I have been trying to stretch our grocery budget and money in other ways. I have found that using cash at the grocery store is easier for me to keep track of my spending than swiping my debit card at all my stops. It makes me more conscientious about what I'm spending. I stopped by my local ALDI store for their 35 cents fruit sale and stocked our fridge with $23 spent on peaches, nectarines, plums, bananas, peppers, skim milk, eggs, pretzels, salad stuff, bread, ground turkey and sweet Italian turkey sausage, etc. Then CVS for 79 cent Diet Coke & Coke Zero 2-liters.

Tonight, I am making a Chinese salad which is basically shredded cabbage, carrots combined with a tossed salad, plus Light Asian Sesame salad dressing and grilled pork chops. Because of the deal I got on the turkey sausage and peppers, I'm going to make baked stuffed peppers for Saturday night. My kids may not like it, but I am determined to introduce them to as many healthy foods as I can while they are young.

Today is Michael's birthday. Unfortunately, he has to work today. We celebrated his birthday earlier in the month because we had tickets to Universal and the kids could not wait to give him his gifts: a Green Lantern T-shirt and a video game followed by the older boys taking him to see Green Lantern on Father's Day.

My weekend is going to be busy. I'm waiting for Brad to catch the bus into town. I have to pick him up soon and get him to work later tonight. Kaitlyn has a Girl Scout trip this weekend. Somewhere in between, I have 3 projects to complete. One of my project includes creating a flow chart in excel, which I am not sure how to do.

Despite all of this, I am looking forward to the weekend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moving Closer

Since I posted a blog last, my life has taken a step closer to my dreams.  It is amazing how one day things seem so far away then suddenly, things begin to fall into place very quickly. I passed all of my teaching exams and now hold a license in ESE (Special Education, Language Arts and Business/Technology and this month, will add Elementary Education.  I won a state professional development grant from the Department of Education which equals up to $5000 toward my autism training.  I will be finishing my autism endorsement within the next 30-60 days and will add that to my list of licenses.  While I wanted to be finished with my training, I am starting an ESOL endorsement for teaching students whose primary language is not English.  This is a requirement from my district because more than 50% of our student population in this area is ESOL. In February, I accepted a new position as an autistic middle school teacher.  I replaced a teacher that passed away.  I have enjoyed the teachin

Defining Moments

Despite my last week or so of disrupted sleep, on the go eating, missed gym workouts and stress, I have not gained any weight. Not exactly sure how that happened, but hey, I'm relieved. I am definitely coming down with allergies or a cold. I've been feeling it over the last couple of days and this evening, it is definitely clear that I'm getting sick. I blame the erratic last couple of weeks that I have had. Today, Kaitlyn and I got up at 7:00 am to go grocery shopping before Michael needed my car for work. We were racing around between 2 stores to buy everything we needed for the week, having coffee together while we shopped. I love our mother-daughter times together. Our cabinets and refrigerator are now stocked with a lot of healthy options. I had this plan to make dinner tonight, then at the last minute decided to skip cooking and order pizza. A couple of Tylenol and tea while waiting for the delivery guy later, still wasn't feeling that great. I feel kind