Skip to main content

Life Happens 10%

I heard a really great quote today:  "Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% of how you respond to it."  Check out this amazing 90 /10 Video.  It really gave me a positive boost!

This is my theme for the week.  I cannot always control what happens to me, but I am learning how not to immediately panic, make bad decisions or give up.  Focus on the 90%.

Things will happen. You throw you back out after planning out your work outs.  You file taxes and discover you owe money.  A child gets the flu when your insurance deductible just started over.  You get a flat tire.  These things will happen.  Sometimes, it will happen at the worst time.  While this song is about a break up, "I will survive" is my motto today.  I have learned to not panic when these things happen.  It was not an easy road to get to this point.  After so many unexpected things to crop up, I have learned over time, the more I try to jump in and fix it immediately, the worse it costs me in the long term.

The last few weeks, even months have been a series of unexpected events.  My over time ended, which was giving us a nice amount of cash to replace a few things like our bedroom furniture, to pay for school field trips, eating out and attending a few paid events.  This was followed by 2 sources of my side income ended due to changes in corporate policy designed to save money.  Instead of allowing this to prompt me to pick up the credit cards, or to panic about losing money, I am, instead, building on other avenues and projects.

Following some of Dave Ramsey's advice, I have started using the debt snowball method to list out our debts from smallest to largest.  I have always been the one to keep track of our budget and expenses and worry whenever something unexpected happens.  This time, my husband and I are working as a team to eliminate our debt and track our expenses.  We also found a picture of a disapproving Dave and whenever we are tempted to overspend, I am going to put that photo on our fridge.




I made some really nice spreadsheets to use to track our debts and budget.  I have put them all into a really cute binder.  Every week, I take out my binder and work out our bills, our spending and plan all of our meals using a menu.  I use online grocery ordering and pick up to prevent overspending and impulse buying at the grocery store.  Our kids now make dinner 1 night a week, and I plan something simple that they like, and every Wednesday, they make dinner.  This allows me to work late and my husband to commute home without worrying he has to rush in and get dinner going for everyone.

 Tonight, since it is my Saturday catch up day, I am making the ingredients for burrito bowls at home.  Everything is made in advance and as each child comes in from work, they can assemble their own dinner.  This leaves me the freedom to work on laundry, deep cleaning our main rooms, paying bills, writing and all the other tasks I fit into my day.



On one of my spreadsheets, I have listed our total debt, total monthly payments and created another column for the end of the year, when I get to write in how much lower each of these bills are.  Visually being able to see those balances going down, makes me happy.

Our baby turns 13 this year and will start 8th grade in the fall.  I have a few goals set for the next 3 -5 years.  #1 Priority is to be debt free, except our student loans, before she graduates.  One of the ways I hope to accomplish this: I cut up 5 of our credit cards.  With scissors and I didn't flinch.  It makes it easier not to charge if you have nothing to charge on.  At the end of this month, I will be down to just 17 payments on my car.  I have put the months into my journal and as I pay off each one, I cross it off.  It makes me feel better every time I can mark one off.

The last couple weeks, my husband and I have been spending time together working out at Planet Fitness.  This has been really nice for me because we get a few minutes to talk to/from the gym without the kids.  [We have 3 kids still at home: 19, 18 and 12].  This has become our source of getting out together.  We have also been going to local low cost events a couple of times per month.  Our next event is to attend a special guest speaker at the university midway into the month.

I am looking for more budget saving or debt reducing ideas.  I will probably be posting more of these ideas as I find them and try them out.




Image result for instagram    
blissful_butterfly74




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moving Closer

Since I posted a blog last, my life has taken a step closer to my dreams.  It is amazing how one day things seem so far away then suddenly, things begin to fall into place very quickly. I passed all of my teaching exams and now hold a license in ESE (Special Education, Language Arts and Business/Technology and this month, will add Elementary Education.  I won a state professional development grant from the Department of Education which equals up to $5000 toward my autism training.  I will be finishing my autism endorsement within the next 30-60 days and will add that to my list of licenses.  While I wanted to be finished with my training, I am starting an ESOL endorsement for teaching students whose primary language is not English.  This is a requirement from my district because more than 50% of our student population in this area is ESOL. In February, I accepted a new position as an autistic middle school teacher.  I replaced a teacher that passed away.  I have enjoyed the teachin

Defining Moments

Despite my last week or so of disrupted sleep, on the go eating, missed gym workouts and stress, I have not gained any weight. Not exactly sure how that happened, but hey, I'm relieved. I am definitely coming down with allergies or a cold. I've been feeling it over the last couple of days and this evening, it is definitely clear that I'm getting sick. I blame the erratic last couple of weeks that I have had. Today, Kaitlyn and I got up at 7:00 am to go grocery shopping before Michael needed my car for work. We were racing around between 2 stores to buy everything we needed for the week, having coffee together while we shopped. I love our mother-daughter times together. Our cabinets and refrigerator are now stocked with a lot of healthy options. I had this plan to make dinner tonight, then at the last minute decided to skip cooking and order pizza. A couple of Tylenol and tea while waiting for the delivery guy later, still wasn't feeling that great. I feel kind